Sunday, February 7, 2010

Vinyl Nerd

Today Yah Yah's hosted their Crate Digger Record Fair. I rode my bike down Smith St and arrived five minutes after it opened at 2pm and the place was already packed. Lining up to look at crates of records was like joining a cue at a very busy bar to get a drink but a lot slower because it takes the bartender 5-10 minutes to get each person a drink.

Patience though, unlike listening to a Mars Volta LP, was justly rewarded.


The first hit was Rapeman's "Two Nuns and a Pack Mule". Rapeman was a late 80s noise rock band with Steve Albini (Big Black, Shellac) and David Sims (The Jesus Lizard, Scratch Acid). Features the smash hit "Kim Gordon's Panties".





Every time I check my last.fm account it tells me "Swell Maps, music recommended by Last.fm. Similar to: The Fall, Mission of Burma, Public Image Ltd." I assume this will be good.






As far as I'm aware Swans vinyl is fairly difficult to find - I'm always on the lookout, I've never seen any before. This is the kind of thing that I really hoped to find at the fair but never actually expected to. Holy Money is a disturbing proto-industrial record, evil to the core. Swans - A Screw


It's a $3 Mystery Shit Bag. 6 randomly selected old pieces of shit records wrapped in newspaper, with the off chance you might get something decent. How could I resist?


I don't know what was in the other shit bags but this turned out to be the bargain of the day. The Best of Nielson is amazing. There's also a brilliant 2LP 50s compilation in there and an interesting instrumental drum fuelled big beat/rock/surf album by Sandy Nelson LP called ''Drums and More Drums!". The cover features a go-go girl surrounded by drums so naturally it is my new favourite image.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy actually came from the Camberwell Markets a couple of weeks ago but demanded a mention.

3 comments:

  1. Wowser. That looks well worth how broke I assume you must be. I want to hear 'Kim Gordon's Panties' so bad.
    That and the stylish LP backdrops are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely worth it, though I'm not looking forward to eating air for all meals until Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. goddamn. you scored with that Swell Maps record, you bastard! I was looking for their records about 2 years back and found nada. such a good band.

    ReplyDelete